Blogs I love to read:

Monday, August 26, 2013

What is a small circle?

In keeping with the challenge of 12 days of writing and posting, the handwork in the Shodokan Tegatana no kata seems to have a great deal of variety.  There are a number of circular movements.  I posted on circles in Taiji before, but covered it very simply.

With each of the four corners, it seems we can cut up (ie Yokomenuchi Ikkyo) or we can cut down (ie Yokomenuchi Shihonage).  We can make the circles different sizes, but I decided for myself size is not just a matter of - well, size.

Jodan is the upper level.  This can refer to any motion above the shoulders, but Sensei used to encourage kuzushi at the Jodan level, then at Gedan level (hip level), then Chudan (middle).  So, not just having hands drop down, but actually causing kuzushi by dropping down.  Not just keeping the hands at the middle level, but causing kuzushi by opening or closing.

For a small circle, I started to see if I had kuzushi at one level.  For a medium circle (a Taiji term no one ever defined for me, so I made my own which might be total crap) I started to feel if I had kuzushi at two points ie lead Chudan, then cut to Gedan or Jodan.  Or, cut down and then lead out.

In large circles, something Y.Yamada does very well, I feel every point of the circle is being used.  The connection and kuzushi can go through Gedan, Chudan, Jodan, back to Chudan.  While the feet are still moving.  A finished full circle technique is very difficult ukemi.

Large circles are not what we do for one on one encounters in a real situation.  They come into their own for a group attack moreso.  Huge and expansive might need to appear suddenly, but keep a compact shape as the default - more power from structure, balance, more safe overall.

For me, I want to make sure I can use the circle.  I hear people talk about how much they like large circles, but for all the motion there might be minimal connection and kuzushi - and very little happening to uke.  Ditto for people who insist small circles are more martial and real - if the structure isn't stable and powerful or doesn't affect Uke somehow, some way, then is the circle really being used?  The difference between compact and collapsed - watch what happens to Uke.  The difference between large and disconnected/over extended - same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment