Blogs I love to read:

Friday, August 30, 2013

Da Lu



One exercise that I am somewhat upset to see isn't seeing much Youtube time is Da Lu. I approach it as a way of issuing and neutralizing that starts with the stepping and body movements. The hands play a secondary role. This is, I think, a more formal practice in Yang Taiji, and maybe one of the Yang developments along with the San Shou two person combat form.  There is a Chen Style practice called Da Lu, but it is more like what I equate with Walking Push Hands - nothing is different from regular push hands, your feet are just moving.

This video is a good representation of basic Yang Style Da Lu as I learned it.

For those people out there who want to bring Aikido and Taiji together, or for people who are following this as part of the Tandoku Challenge - I see something similar to the final movement in Tandoku, and some similar ideas to the Tomiki Walking forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment