Blogs I love to read:

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Shirata Rinjiro's Eri Dori Ushiro Waza

This is part 3 of an ongoing challenge to blog 12 days in a row on a Shodokan Walking kata.  I am not a Shodokan student.  One aspect I thought was worth mentioning was the foundation of Tai Sabaki shown in this kata. 

Shirata Rinjiro was the teacher of John Stevens, one of the most prolific translators and authors on Aikido today.  The book the two made together, "The Way of Harmony" not only inspired a thousand Aikido descriptions, it was one of the best books on Aikido ever done in my opinion.  I found the book accessible as a new student.  I still routinely return to this book.  My copy is 25 years old, and one of the most worn in my collection.  I never met Shirata Sensei, nor any of his students.  I'm just a fan.

While passing through the Kyu ranks, there are many kata that are taught in a specific way.  The handful of entrances (tenkan, irimi) exist, and a handful of exits (Shihonage, Iriminage, Ikkyo.). Lately, the USAF asks for specific variations ie Tsuki Iriminage is to be performed with Tenkan, Irimi and Tenshin variations.  I like this focus on different tai sabaki (body movements) to get off the line, receive, neutralize and issue.

I was always clear on what Kawahara Sensei was asking for - he would freely give us the kata he thought we should have, as well as the variations he thought were necessary for acquiring the technique in question.  I didn't have the "legend" to the "tai sabaki map." 

The Way of Harmony has an entire chapter on Ushiro Waza.  The attack practiced is Eri Dori, which I seldom ever had to practice.  Shirata Sensei shows these movements first in isolation, then in two person attacks with another swordsman trying to cut you down from in front of you while you are being held from behind.  The movement to receive the attack from in front or behind is the same.  His weapons work is the same - his movement doesn't change when he is holding a sword, nor when being attacked by a sword.

This is my own poor attempt at the techniques Shirata Sensei shows in that chapter, with many thanks to my Uke, Rob, who is coming up on a Yonkyu test.  Nice ukemi!




This one time lesson from a long dead teacher who I never met shows something similar to me that I saw going on in the Tomiki Walking Form.  It's not the same.  But, the whole idea of Tai Sabaki and four corners?  It's in the Tomiki Walking Form, and I see it in Shirata Rinjiro's well codified Aikido as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment