Blogs I love to read:

Monday, August 5, 2013

Maple Walnut Bread Pudding

My sister has access to a maple tree farm. Sap coming out of the trees, then boiled during the sugaring off. I would love to see it some day. What I do get is the occassional bag of maple sugar. The flavour is amazing in coffee, but I stopped drinking much coffee on my days off. So, a small jar had been sitting around for a while.


I had a couple of baguettes left over that had gone stale. Weaver Street has an amazing bakery, but baguettes don’t have much of a shelf life.

FIRST: If you add any dried fruit like raisins, (I don’t) add the fruit to the Rum and Spice mixture below the night before. With the fruit having soaked, the pudding will be more flavourful and the fruit will be softer. As the fruit takes up more liquid, you might need to add more rum.

RUM and SPICE MIXTURE: 1tsp of ginger, 1tbsp of cinnamon and a ½ tsp allspice. 6 tbsp of Rum (secret ingredient). If you don’t like rum, pick a whiskey or something for this step.

If you aren’t using dried fruit, then just measure your Rum and Spices directly in the Egg and Sugar mixture.

The two baguettes (about 7c) got cut into 1 inch squares, then got soaked in 4c of 2% milk until the bread was saturated. Big important step that too many places rush through – if the bread isn’t uniformly wet, then when it is cooked some pieces of the pudding are still dried out stale unflavoured bread. The milk also lets the sweetness get around. About 30-40 minutes should be fine, no faster particularily if you have a very crusty bread.

Egg and Sugar Mixture: 3 eggs lightly whisked in another bowl. 2/3c of the maple sugar, with 1+1/3c white sugar, and blend well.

I put 3tbsp of melted butter into a 12” deep dish pie pan. No tin foil, use a glass one.

Pour the milky bread, Rum and Spice, and Egg and Sugar mix together in one of the mixing bowls. I added 3/4c of lightly chopped walnuts here. Give a good stir.

Then pour the whole lot in the pie dish up to the top. I sprinkled more cinnamon on the top.

Bake for 35 minutes at 350. This pudding will have some liquid in the pan, so I didn’t need to do a sauce. One of my favourite experiments.



No comments:

Post a Comment