Blogs I love to read:

Sunday, June 21, 2015

What did you learn in kindergarten?

I wrote a piece a little while back about how information starts with small pieces of understanding and then grows.  Rational transmission of knowledge starts with a foundation, and then builds on it.

I remember Kawahara Sensei being asked by a student looking to open his first dojo, "What should I focus on teaching?"  Sensei replied immediately, "Gokyu" (5th Kyu).  He had a set of basics that he thought gave a good, solid, foundation for a beginning student to move forward:

Shomenuchi
Ikkyo to Yonkyo, Omote and Ura, suwari waza and tachiwaza (seated and standing)
Shihonage Omote and Ura
Iriminage
Kotegaeshi

Ryotedori 
Tenchinage (standing)
Kokyudoza (seated)

Morote Dori 
Iriminage

Katatedori 
Kokyu Ho
Koshinage

Yokomenuchi 
Shihonage Omote and Ura

Ushiro Ryotekubidori
Ikkyo

How much time did I spend on this test?  25 years later, I have the test requirements memorized.  How valid was the test?  I admit of course I learned Katatedori Shihonage and Katatedori Ikkyo long before I learned the Gokyu requirements.  Of course I had to learn how to fall, how to stand, how to sit and so many other things first.  There was very much an unofficial 6th kyu.  I started in September and didn't take my first test until April.  I remember reading the test requirements for other associations with pride, and some jealousy.  Koshinage in the first couple of months was painful, and I had blood stains on my gi pants from bleeding knees.  It never occurred to me while training for my test that other groups didn't do all the same stuff.  

With all the different students of O Sensei with their own understanding of Aikido, many teaching methods have sprung up and entire associations seem based on the teaching methods and the specifically embraced terminology.  For the raw beginner, the biggest differences between schools don't seem to be the Dan level studies, but rather the first few weeks and months of instruction.  I find collecting the Kyu lists of test requirements fascinating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment