Blogs I love to read:

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Take the knife?

One of the ideas for Tanto Dori that I keep hearing is that the Nage should always take the Tanto from Uke.  It sounds good.

The tanto is a very dangerous weapon in close quarters.  I think if you don't have control of the weapon and the Uke, then you are very likely to get cut.  If I close badly, I give the Uke a chance to kill me that he might not have had otherwise.  This idea also feeds into any freestyle practice - we should respond to what attack we are given, and not try to force a losing position.

This clip is of some high ranked Tomiki practitioners (Shodokan Aikido) showing all their basic movements using a tanto.  No attempt is made to disarm, the knife and the uke are just thrown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHKzOoSqUx4

This clip is of Gozo Shioda Sensei, the founder of Yoshinkan Aikido.  The tanto work by this man is very dynamic and fast, with no attempt made to control the knife.  I have seen clips of videos like this where he eventually takes control, completely on his terms and his timing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzRJkcxe0ns

In both clips, no one has tunnel vision on the weapon.  The attacker is controlled instead, quickly and briefly and from a distance.

It does not matter if I (or you) are blown away by these demos.  These are two systems developed by two major and direct students of the Founder of Aikido that show people very comfortable with throwing someone without pinning and without disarming. 

For the USAF requirements, I don't like having to close and disarm unless I am feeling confident and safe.  Distance means I can run, or arm myself.  I can throw something, close a door, get to a car, get help, get far enough to pull a gun safely.  In a work situation, I might need to have a tool in my hand that I don't want to discard - which means I cannot grab something else (disarm).  A cop should not be discarding handcuffs, radio or sidearm to grab hold of a knife hand.

This idea of not taking control of the knife and Uke might be strange to some, but it has a lot in common with the old USAF Nidan test requirements of tachidori against two attackers.  The weapon was not retained, and Uke were not pinned when other armed attackers were coming.  I only got to try this once, and I was able to use one sword against the other with classical technique.  The sword was still to be discarded according to the rules, and not held on to.  Pinning the Uke would effectively pin myself on the spot as well.

I'm not saying no pin/no disarm is the best idea, or that I think this is the best option.  But, maybe give yourself permission to engage on your terms.  Enter when you are in charge of the situation, when Uke is tired and off balance and the knife can be properly controlled.  The idea has merit, and precident. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like all the features of the knife. I will recommended this knife to my friends.
    Out Of Front Knives

    ReplyDelete